Chickpea Salad Sandwich. A healthy and vegan lunch sandwich packed with flavor and protein.
I have to admit, lunch and me don’t always get along. I get extremely bored of the same options and it’s the hardest meal for me to get creative with. I really wanted something new and exciting to add into my lunch options, so I created this Chickpea Salad Sandwich!
In addition to being delicious, chickpeas boast numerous health benefits. Chickpeas are an amazing vegetarian protein source. Though I am not vegetarian, I do believe it is very important to have a few meatless meals here and there for the health of us and our environment. Chickpeas are also packed full of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and are a budget friendly health food. So if you have never had chickpeas before, I definitely recommend that you add them into your diet!
Another reason I love this recipe is that you can make a big batch of this and have lunch already prepared for the next few days. Whenever lunch time rolls around I find myself extremely hungry, ravenous, and not willing to take the time to make something. With this chickpea salad, all I have to do is spoon some onto some bread and voila, lunch! This chickpea salad should keep for about a week in an airtight container.
What are some of your favorite ways to eat chickpeas?
- 1 15 oz can (425 g) chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 a small red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup (42 g) chopped celery
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas and olive oil until mostly mashed but with a few whole chickpeas.
- Add red onion, celery, salt, and pepper. Mash until evenly incorporated.
- Spoon chickpea salad onto the bread. Add any desired toppings (tomato, spinach, etc.)